Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Name is Ouiser...

...and I'm totally addicted to the television show "Good Eats" as well as other GOOD shows on Food Network and its sister channel The Cooking Channel.. Every time I watch, I feel the overwhelming desire to attempt to make whatever is being shown. I can actually cook fairly well, though admittedly in my teen years I seriously SUCKED at it. I actually food poisoned my then best friend. TWICE. To this day, I have NO IDEA how I managed to do that. I also managed to turn corn PINK. No idea how that happened either. All I did was put corn on the cob in boiling water. That's it. No food coloring, nothing and it turned a nice shade of light pink.

Ah well.

In the 20 plus years since then, I'd like to think my culinary skills have sharpened somewhat. These days though it's all about making appetizing, inexpensive, aesthetically pleasing, palate tingling food that a certain Chubby Fisted Wee Man will eat. Granted, he'll eat just about anything you put in front of him, but there are some foods I wish he'd eat MORE of.

Wee Man approved foods include: meatloaf, mashed potatoes, bacon, peas, green beans, mashed potatoes, macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, mashed potatoes, yogurt, chocolate pudding, mashed potatoes...

Do we see a trend there? He doesn't care for broccoli much, is kinda iffy on cauliflower, corn is 'meh', so I'm constantly looking for ways to integrate those foods into something that he'll actually eat. Hence part of my addiction to cooking shows. (And the secret desire to get my own show...I can see it now...Iron Chef: Redneck Style)

Anyway...

So, I came up with what I'd like to call a bastardized risotto...

Cook some orzo in chicken broth.
Add parmesean cheese (about 1/4 c.)
Add a few tablespoons of cheddar cheese powder (bulk of course)
throw in some diced onion, bacon bits and green peas.

It's quick, filling and you get your basic food groups covered. It's definitely Wee Man approved.

Today's lunch consists of baked potatoes stuffed with leftover pulled pork from the Pulled Pork Recipe I posted. (I made a metric assload of it and froze some, so now we're eating on the frozen stuff). Cheap, filling and yup, Wee Man approved. We'll overlook that he likes rubbing the taters in his hair as though it were some new fangled hair styling cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment