Monday, July 18, 2011

Maidless Monday - It CAN Be Done!

Okay, so I started on Maidless Monday at my house on Sunday night. =p I hopefully will continue for a few more hours since I am off Sunday and Monday. =)

First off, my house is a complete disaster area. I get stressed when I try to think of where to start. I think I've mentioned this before, but I am a FIRM believer in the FlyLady method (flylady.net)!! Tonight I used the Bingo system (http://www.facebook.com/flyladybingo) to do a quick clean WITH RESULTS! I decided I would do a 6x5 Bingo...6 tasks, 5 minutes each. I wrote down my tasks.

1. Unload and reload dishwasher.

2. Clear table.

3. Clean kitchen.

4. PUPA (pick up and put away) living room.

5. Reboot laundry.

6. Swish & swipe. (http://www.flylady.net/pages/focus_jul.asp)

Easy enough.

I posted on my personal facebook what I would be doing and decided to call the numbers on my personal wall. That way, if something popped up, like a baby who decides midnight is morning, I could put a pause on my list and not have to keep up with someone else's pace.

First I called #3...something that really needed to be done, and something I knew would look like I made a dent in it to get me motivated. The rest of numbers went 2, 6, 5, 4, 1. I saved the dishes for last...they have been..........neglected...so I knew they would take a little bit of scrubbing time. Took about 20 minutes actually, but it was DONE!

The best thing about this is that you don't see a huge pile of muck in front of you. You set small goals for yourself. A little at a time. And you would not believe how much you can do in 5 minutes!!! Seriously, pick something that you have been dreading (maybe going through the closet and decluttering clothes, or cleaning out the storage room, or that lovely pile of mail accumulating on your desk...you know the one....the kids have put up mini falling risk signs around it b/c it's bound to become a landslide soon). Set a timer for 5 minutes. ATTACK!!! When the timer beeps STOP. Do not touch anything else. Then walk away, grab a snack or something to drink. Then go back and look at what you have just accomplished. Be amazed!!!


Your Maidless Monday Mission is to apply the story of the tortoise and the hare to your housework...instead of rushing and ripping through things, take things a little at a time. You are much much less likely to burn out.

<3 Truvy

No comments:

Post a Comment